Monday 1 June 2015

3 Ways to Fit More Reading in with Your Child

Jenna posted about {8 Simple Ways to Fit More Reading into Your Day}, and I wanted to throw in a few ideas of my own!  Especially with a special needs child, it's important to me to foster a love of reading and make sure he gets his literary nutrition.  Therefore:

I've read to Afon since he was born; even when my old-fashioned English father-in-law chuckled at the absurdity of going over nursery rhymes with a six-month-old, I wasn't phased.  I'm so glad I did.  Because now, in this hair-pulling, harrowing stage that is autism always-toddlerhood, he's still maintains a slight interest in book reading, and believe me, I capitalize on that any way I can.

Here's how we fit more reading into our day, other than the usual bedtime story.

1 // Read in the bathtub.

We gals like to do this; and with scented candles, bubbles, and a glass of wine, we call it the height of luxury.  But little ones can enjoy reading in the tub, too.  Which is actually listening.  And you're probably not in the tub with your small child because that would be very soggy for the poor book.

2 // Read on the the trampoline.

Or during any play in which your child is fairly stationary.  He or she only has to be half-listening; I've been enjoy the {Read Aloud Revival podcast}, which confirmed my belief that children do in fact absorb some of what's being read to them, even if they aren't the sit-still-and-harken type.



Afon adores the trampoline.  I can let him jump and jump and jump and jump and just read aloud; he's getting some tiring exercise, and I'm not bored out of my mind.  It's a win for everyone.

3 // Listen to audio books in the car.

This emerged from the root idea of listening to podcasts while driving.  And when {Brandon Vogt} suggested listening to books on tape as well, the lightbulb clicked on.

Think about all that otherwise unused time you spend driving every week!  What if you could turn that into fruitful time not just for yourself, but for your child?

∆∆∆

How do you and your children fit reading into your day?  Any suggestions that I've missed?

4 comments:

  1. I wrote about reading to older kids a couple weeks ago. It is so important to me and my family. I love this! I actually heard on one of the RAR podcasts (I think) that there's research that shows that special needs kids learn a great deal while jumping on the trampoline. It probably applies to all kids actually! Love your beautiful boys, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Micaela! Wow, that's so neat that they learn while jumping on the trampoline. You'd think they'd be totally distracted, but maybe some kids need to be doing something with their bodies so their minds are freed to absorb things! It's so amazing how God made human beings to work and grow! Thanks for your comment! xx

      Delete
  2. I work with a lot of special needs children. I find that one of the best ways to reach them is through books. They love books and the attention they get when they are being read. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good!! It's just sort of natural to me that I would read to Afon because I love books, too, and if it's helping him as well, that makes it all the better! xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...