Friday 21 August 2015

#7QT: In My Commonplace Book

Lately, I've been trying to keep a commonplace book of some kind.  I used to do this before I knew what a commonplace book was, so I'm sort of an old hand at it.   Here are seven examples of what's been populating the ole' notebook lately.

-- one --


{The Cloister Walk} by Kathleen Norris
Liturgical time is essentially poetic time, ordered toward process rather than productivity, willing to wait attentively in stillness rather than always pushing to "get the job done."

-- two --


{The Magician's Nephew} by C.S. Lewis
For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are.

-- three --


{Dad Is Fat} by Jim Gaffigan
All moms seemed simultaneously tireless and on the brink of exhaustion.

-- four --


{Charlotte's Web} by E.B. White
People believe almost anything they see in print.

-- five --


Children pay better attention than grownups.

-- six --


{The Sword in the Stone} by T.H. White
Education is experience.  And experience is the essence of self-reliance.

-- seven --


[To learn] is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting.

∆∆∆

Some good inspirational sources for getting in the mood of keeping a commonplace book, or just finding material worth collecting, are {Cold-pressed}, {Holy Sparkle}, and {Amongst Lovely Things}.

Do you keep a commonplace book or something like it?  If you're curious, do a google image search for some beautiful historical examples.  Also, {my new favorite movie with Simon Pegg and Rosamund Pike} has a really neat commonplace book/journal example!

Linking up with Kelly for {Seven Quick Takes}!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the sweet mention! I really need to get better about using a commonplace book. I used to put poems I like in a notebook, which turned into a poetry blog in 2009. Now I sometimes write stuff in my planner... but when I put it on FB or Twitter it fades away. Must. Return. To. Paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I have been keeping one for years as well. I love to collect quotes and ideas and instructions from books. I especially love to copy passages from library books and books I plan to donate, since I won't be keeping them (and I am trying to pare down my book collection and prevent too many more from coming in, so it's nice to have the "best of" collected in one place).

    I will have to check out that movie! I adore Simon Pegg. I looked it up and it's also a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The critics weren't as keen on the movie, but it was right up my alley; I think there is some real, valuable truth to it. Let me know if you watch it!

      Delete
  3. So many good quotes. I just sent the Gaffigan one to a friend that needed a chuckle. I don't keep a commonplace book persay, but there are lots of hand drawn quotes sprinkled in my Moleskine next to grocery lists and budget figuring...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad!

      And I consider that a commonplace book! ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...