Wednesday 8 April 2015

Liturgical Lifestyle: February + March


The liturgical year has allured me since I first read a young adult novel set in the middle ages, when the medieval Church saturated daily life.  A few years ago, I made moves to live that lifestyle in a whatever way I could, and I soon found that I was in excellent company.  

I try to keep the feasts and solemnities, even if it's just a little Facebook shout-out or a special meal.  Here are February and March in review:

1  //  Afon's birthday is the day before Saint Valentine's Day, so they are an annually festive 42 hours.  We made some easy crafts and ate chocolates, followed the next day by birthday cake.

2  //  Shrove Tuesday a.k.a. Mardi Gras a.k.a. Pancake Day.  The tradition in the U.K. is to eat tons and tons of pancakes, which are a dessert food over there.

//  A bit more grown-up pre-Lent treat: shrimp with a fancy Cajun sauce, recipe from {Carrots for Michaelmas}.  Pair with wine for #delicious.

//  I only lasted the first week but thoroughly enjoyed {Abby's} #holylens project for Instagram.  This one's prompt was #follow.

5 & 6  //  Saint Anthony's relics came to our parish, and we were able to pray with him and make the baby a third-class relic.  c;

//  Saint Antony #intheflesh.  (It's three layers of his skin.)

//  Our little family attended a Saint Patrick's Day parish party.  Irish pride!

9  //  Gluten-free Irish soda bread for the Paddy's feast.  It was a winner!

10  //  My little leprechaun.

11 & 12  //  Waffles for Annunciation Day!  Eating waffles on this feast is a Scandinavian tradition; and since I'm admittedly Scandinavian obsessed, say no more!


13 & 14  //  My littles in their Easter best.


15  //  Easter blooms from Daddy.  Floppy tulips are my fave-fave-favorite!

16  //  Happy Eastertide!  He is risen!

The Easter festivities continue in the Church for quite a while yet.  I'm looking forward to Pentecost (Happy birthday, Holy Mother Church!) and some favorite saints' days.

How do you celebrate the liturgical year?  Is it crazy that I haven't read Kristen Lavransdatter, with my Middle Ages and Norway and liturgical living obsession?  I know, I know, it's on my to-do list!

And don't forget to {enter the giveaway} to win a set of two Fine Art Photo Print Greeting Cards!  More options are coming to the shop soon, so you'll want to get in on it.

{To read more of my thoughts on the alternative lifestyle that is the liturgical year click here!}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...